The Division of Pediatric Rheumatology is committed to the diagnosis and care of children with pediatric rheumatic diseases. Our division consists of four board-certified pediatric rheumatologists. Divisional members are all actively involved in research relating to pediatric rheumatologic diseases. We educate medical students, residents and rheumatology fellows in the field of pediatric rheumatology and have an active fellowship program. We are involved in the local and national level in bettering the lives of children with chronic rheumatic diseases.
The Division of Rheumatology serves patients with pediatric rheumatic diseases such as juvenile arthritis, dermatomyositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, scleroderma, sarcoid, inflammatory uveitis, periodic fevers, vasculitis, Wegener's granulomatosus, Takayasu's arteritis, Behcet's disease and fibromyalgia.
We evaluate, diagnose and treat chronic joint pain and swelling, periodic fevers, lupus and lupus-like rashes, muscle weakness with rash or calcinosis (calcium deposits in the skin/muscle) and scleroderma including linear scleroderma, morphea, and systemic sclerosis.
Treatment modalities include medical management, joint injections with sedation, intravenous therapies, physical and occupational therapy and psychosocial support.
Physicians and Staff
|Name||Areas of Special Interest|
|Jeffrey A. Dvergsten, MD||Juvenile arthritis and dermatomyositis; systemic-onset juvenile idiopathic arthritis; research interests in pathogenesis of pediatric inflammatory diseases|
|C. Egla Rabinovich, MD, MPH||Childhood rheumatic diseases, lupus, JRA, childhood osteoporosis, dermatomyositis, localized (linear) scleroderma, morphea, uveitis|
|Ann M. Reed, MD|
|Laura E. Schanberg, MD||Pediatric rheumatic diseases, pediatric systemic lupus erythematosus, pain in children with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, musculoskeletal pain syndromes including juvenile fibromyalgia|
|Heather A. Van Mater, MD, MS||Juvenile arthritis, juvenile dermatomyositis, CNS vasculitis, cost-effective treatment in pediatric rheumatology|
|Whitney Diebolt, OTR/L||Occupational Therapist|
|Janet Hobble, RN||Nurse Clinician|
|Kelly Mieszkalski, MA||Clinical Trials Manager|
|Tara Presser, PT||Physical Therapist|
|Sheila Rittgers, MSW, LCSW||Clinical Social Worker|
|Sylvia Sichi, RN||Nurse Clinician|
|Janet Wooton, RN||Research Coordinator|
|Angela Bryan, MD||Second-year fellow|
|Laura Lewandowski, MD||Third-year fellow|
|Yolande Ahmed||Staff Assistant|
|Karen Brown||Administrative Assistant|
|Kristin Johnson||GME Program Coordinator|
|Renee Joyner||Medical Secretary|
|Janine Edmundson||Administrative Manager|
Clinic Hours and Location
Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center
Rheumatology Clinic, Second Floor
2301 Erwin Road
Durham, NC 27710
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Duke Children’s and WakeMed Children's Specialty Services
23 Sunnybrook Road, Suite 200
Raleigh, NC 27610
Hours: Monday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Appointments and Contact Information
To serve our patients and referring physicians, faculty physicians covering pediatric rheumatology are always on call to answer questions and provide consultation.
- For return appointments, please call 919-668-4000 or 919-684-6575, option 1.
- For urgent calls during business hours or to speak with the secretary, call the divisional office at 919-684-6575 option 2.
- For nurse advice or prescription refills, call 919-684-6575, option 3.
- For urgent calls after business hours, on weekends, or on holidays, please call 919-684-8111 and ask the operator to page the pediatric rheumatologist on call.
- For physicians requesting consultations or making referrals, please call the divisional office at 919-684-6575, option 2, or the Duke Consultation and Referral Center at 800-MED-DUKE (800-633-3853).
- Pediatric Division of Rheumatology
(Duke School of Medicine)
- Pediatric Clinical Trials (Rheumatology)
- Inflammatory and Immune Disorders
Duke Pediatric Rheumatology Family Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA) Day
- When: Saturday, June 21, 2014
- Where: Museum of Life and Science [Directions]
- Time: 10:00am to 1:00pm
- RSVP: Karen Brown at 919.668.6627 or email@example.com
- Alliance for Lupus Research
- Arthritis Foundation
- Arthritis and Rheumatism
- American College of Rheumatology
- Behcet's Organisation Worldwide
- Childhood Arthritis and Rheumatology Research Alliance
- Fibromyalgia Association
- International League of Associations for Rheumatology (ILAR)
- Lupus Foundation of America
- Marfan Foundation
- National Psoriasis Foundation
- The Myositis Association
- Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation
- Spondylitis Association of America
- United Scleroderma Association