Children's Miracle Network Hospitals
Children's Miracle Network Hospitals raises unrestricted funds for Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center. These funds help support research, clinical care, advocacy and family support programs to help children and families heal both physically and emotionally. At Duke Children's, we treat 200,000 patients each year and provide research findings that touch millions of lives worldwide.
Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center is nationally ranked among the best pediatric health care programs. Caring for children is our number one priority, from routine check-ups and immunizations to the treatment of life-threatening injuries and illness. At Duke Children's, we provide hope and the most advanced health care available.
At Children's Miracle Network Hospitals, Children Always Come First
This is our Children's Miracle Network Hospitals promise, and it is the core of who we are.
Children's Miracle Network Hospitals is the alliance of premier children's hospitals in North America. It is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping kids by raising funds for 170 children's hospitals across North America. Since 1983, these non-profit hospitals have provided the finest care, research and community outreach to help millions of children with diseases and injuries of every kind, raising more than $7 billion, much of it one dollar at a time.
Every year, the 170 children's hospitals associated with Children's Miracle Network Hospitals treat more than 17 million children with all types of illnesses, including cancer, heart and muscular diseases, birth defects, cerebral palsy and AIDS.
Locally, Children's Miracle Network Hospitals raises funds for Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center. Since 1984, Duke Children's Miracle Network Hospitals has contributed significant resources for the programs and services of Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center. We are proud to be a part of Children's Miracle Network Hospitals and value our association with its partner programs.
Who We Are
Just like the children we care for, Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center is continually growing and changing. But one thing never changes--and that's our passionate commitment to doing everything we can to help children enjoy long, happy, healthy lives.
Who We Treat
With Duke Children's position as a regional referral center for advanced pediatric care, 89 percent of our patients are from counties across North Carolina. Duke Children's focuses on the care of complex illnesses and is poised as an international referral center for specialty care with the remaining 11 percent of children referred to Duke from all parts of the globe.
The Duke Difference
Duke is an international center for bench-to-bedside research as evidenced by the development of these flagship programs:
- Cord blood transplantation to treat various cancers, immune deficiency disorders, and metabolic diseases where no other treatment is available.
- Enzyme therapy--the first effective treatment for Pompe' disease.
- ECMO (extra corporeal membrane oxygenation) as a treatment to save a child suffering a sickle cell crisis and another suffering from a near-drowning.
- Thymus transplantation to successfully treat children with DiGeorge Syndrome.
- Sickle cell screening program being used nationally.
- AZT therapy for pregnant women to prevent the transfer of HIV to their unborn children.
How Your Donations Work for the Children
When treating sick kids, every penny counts...
- Because one smile from a young patient who's been given a whole new chance at life is all the proof we need that what we do is the very best work there is.
- Because care is about a lot more than treatment.
- Because even healthy kids need good care to stay that way, Duke Children's Hospital & Health Center also provides complete primary care and preventive health services for children.
- Because children's illnesses won't go away until we make them.
CARE. ADVOCACY. RESEARCH. EDUCATION
All because we CARE.
Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals 2014 NC Champion
Kennedy Goodwin is the 2014 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals (CMNH) North Carolina Champion.
Champions is a CMN Hospitals public awareness program to increase awareness of CMN Hospitals, the financial need of children’s hospitals, and the importance of research, education and care. The Champions program honors remarkable children after facing severe medical challenges. For her courage and perseverance, Kennedy was nominated to serve as an ambassador for CMN Hospitals, Duke Children’s, and hospitalized children throughout the state.
During the year, NC Champion Kennedy will attend Duke Children’s and CMN Hospitals’ events and fund-raising campaigns to celebrate the specialized health care and research supported by CMN Hospitals fundraising. The Champions Program will culminate in November 2014 with Champions events in Washington, DC, and Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals’ Celebration at Walt Disney World in Orlando, FL. [Read Kennedy's story]
Kids Care Grants
The following are just a few areas where the dollars raised make a significant impact on the lives of sick children--areas that have no other funding sources except valuable Children's Miracle Network Hospitals contributions:
- Make 'em Smile entertainer program to provide weekly visits to both the inpatient and clinic settings.
- Preoperative educational brochures, teaching dolls and videos for children undergoing anesthesia and surgery.
- Reach Out and Read program to promote early literacy skills among children at highest risk for school failure; age-appropriate books provided at well-child visits and volunteers available to read to children in the waiting areas.
- "Tell Me About My Operation" coloring book in English and Spanish and pocket reference books to help physicians translate medical terms to Spanish.
- Parent support program for the Intensive and Transitional Care Nurseries, including library materials, and weekly parent education and support group meetings.
- Craft supplies for the Child and Adolescent Life program.
- Auditory stimulation toys for hearing-impaired children.
- Meal and parking passes to assist indigent and low-income families with local needs while their children are at Duke.
- Magazine subscriptions, toys, and games for clinic areas.
Derfner-Children's Miracle Network Hospitals Research Award Applications
Each year the Department of Pediatrics funds support for clinical, basic or applied research projects proposed by investigators within the Duke Children's community. It is hoped that funded projects will spawn successful extramural applications. This year funds for these awards are made possible by a generous gift from the Derfner Foundation as well as a substantial portion of the net proceeds from Children's Miracle Network Hospitals fund raising undertaken by our Department of Pediatrics development team.
For more information about CMN Hospitals or to become a CMN Hospitals partner, contact Karen McClure at 919-385-3139 or Keri Christianson at 919-385-3140. You can also send an email to email@example.com.
Walmart/Sam's Club Campaign Kickoff 2014
2014 NC Champion
Kennedy Goodwin is the 2014 Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals North Carolina Champion. Learn about how she has led her family on a four-year, life-changing journey marked by perseverance and strength. [Read more]
IHop National Pancake Day 2015
March 3, 2015
IHOP is celebrating Children's Miracle Network Hospitals’ first annual fundraiser of the year with National Pancake Day on Tuesday, March 3. Stop in for a free short stack to support the kids at Duke Children's! Visit bit.ly/1bqA5Is for more details.
Dance for the kids! Three dance marathons host year-long fundraisers to benefit Duke Children's, culminating in an 8 to 24 hour dance marathon. Students stay on their feet through dancing, games and entertainment.
Share Your Story
Tell us about your personal experience as a patient or donor of Duke Children's! By sharing your story with us, you will help us tell others about our life-saving work.